Technological and societal changes led to an explosion of digitally available data. Exploiting the available data to its fullest extent, in order to improve decision making, increase productivity, and deepen our understanding of scientific questions, is one of today’s major challenges. Data science is an emerging discipline that aims to address this challenge. This is an opportune time to pursue training in both a challenging and rewarding new field deemed by the Harvard Business Review to offer the “… sexiest job of the 21st century”. Within the EIT Digital programme in Data Science (DSC) students learn about scalable data collection techniques, data analysis methods, and a suite of tools and technologies that address data capture, processing, storage, transfer, analysis, and visualization.
Fist-year program at POLIMI
Politecnico di Milano offers an entry-year program for Data Science providing 60 ECTS. It consists of a set of technical courses (36 ECTS), bases in Innovation & Entrepreneurship (20 ECTS) and a thematic I&E Summer School (4 ECTS).
The following summarizes the study plan for the first year. Please notice that, on the basis of the curriculum of previous BSc studies, the Admission Committee at Politecnico can specify some little directions on the individual study plans, regarding the choice of courses to be attended.
Technical common base – mandatory courses (total ECTS = 21)
- DATA BASES 2 – 5 ECTS, I semester
- SOFTWARE ENGINEERING 2 – 5 ECTS, I semester
- COMPUTING INFRASTRUCTURES – 5 ECTS, II semester
- MACHINE LEARNING – 6 ECTS, II semester
Technical core – elective courses (3 out of 6, total ECTS = 15)
- SOFT COMPUTING – 5 ECTS, I semester
- DISTRIBUTED SYSTEMS – 5 ECTS, I semester
- RECOMMENDER SYSTEMS – 5 ECTS, I semester
- PRINCIPLES OF PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES – 5 ECTS, I semester
- DATA MINING AND TEXT MINING – 5 ECTS, II semester
- ADVANCED ALGORITHMS AND PARALLEL PROGRAMMING – 5 ECTS, II semester
I&E Minor – Innovation & Entrepreneurship courses (Total ECTS = 24)
- STRATEGY & MARKETING (I&E Basic + I&E Elective) – 10 ECTS, I semester
- DESIGNING DIGITAL BUSINESS INNOVATION LAB (I&E Business Development Lab) – 10 ECTS, II semester
The I&E Minor will be increasingly offered in a blended format, with online modules and innovative teaching methods (blended I&E Education)
- I&E Summer School – 4 ECTS, II semester
The Summer School brings students together for two weeks to work in groups on a business modelling and planning project in the context of a societally relevant thematic area. Summer Schools take place at different locations throughout Europe, supporting a multidisciplinary and international dimension, with a clear EIT Digital flavour to education.
During the second year, students have the option to specialise in one of the technical areas that are offered by the Exit Universities. Please, refer to their local programs for the second year or find them out on the EIT Digital Master School webpage for Data Science.
Program Coordinator: Prof. Paolo Cremonesi
Politecnico di Milano
Department of Electronics, Information and Bio-engineering (DEIB)
Course information and descriptions on our Manifesto degli Studi